Thursday, February 11, 2010

All this snow…

There’s something about an impending snowstorm that, I think, makes everyone excited. Whether you are a little kid hoping school is closed or an adult looking forward to a day off from work, it’s fun to see the white stuff pile up.

I was pretty disappointed this past weekend because Andy and I were supposed to have a bunch of friends over to celebrate winter birthdays. We’ve been working on the basement over the last several weeks and are really happy with the way it turned out. I love to entertain so we were bummed when it wasn’t safe for people to come over. We decided to make the best of it and had a really enjoyable day at home. We shoveled, I made a fantastic dinner, we had some drinks, watched TV. Being snowed in makes everyone slow down and relax and sometimes that’s a good thing. We braved the roads in Philadelphia on Sunday and drove to East Falls to watch the Superbowl with Josh & Lauren. Trying to drive (and park) on those streets made me thankful King of Prussia does a good job plowing! We had quite the walk from where we eventually parked to their house, in a way it was kind of fun.

We got home Sunday night to find out ANOTHER STORM was on its way, hard to believe! 1-2 more feet, are you kidding? Indeed they were not, we learned, as snow fell from early Tuesday evening through late Wednesday night. Andy and I shoveled the sidewalks and driveway and I decided to build a snowman. My hands were about to fall off when I was putting on his face because I had to take off my gloves. That is why his eyes are in his forehead and he only has half his buttons, ha-ha!

SNOW 009

It was so quiet outside, the snow was still falling. Building Frosty brought back great memories of the 90’s snowstorms. I remember building forts and igloos with my sister, Mom & Dad, and all of the neighborhood kids. We would walk down to the soccer fields and go sledding and then come home and have hot chocolate. There was even a time we were able to ice skate on the front lawn! I’d imagine these snowstorms have been just as exciting for kids. As adults, we dread the shoveling, cleaning off the cars, trying to drive---but if you slow down and just accept being “snowed in” there is a lot of beauty and enjoyment you can get out of a great snowstorm. 2008-08-14 (2) 0012

With that, I have to say I’m ready for warm sunny days at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment