Wednesday, April 6, 2011

So...

I don't sleep normally anymore. What is going on? I go to bed at night and can't turn off my mind. I lay there thinking about how tired I will be in the morning but can't fall asleep. A million thoughts run through my mind each night. A couple nights a week I end up coming downstairs because it drives me crazy to watch the minutes go by, just lying there.

I'm thinking about...
  • the wedding: The things we still need to do---find officiant, figure out what the guys are wearing, make final invite list, gifts for wedding party & parents, wedding bands, playlist for dj, figure out music for ceremony, order bridesmaid gowns, figure out what to do for guest book, arrange babysitters, wedding vows, find place for rehearsal dinner, pick out readings, figure out who to ask to do readings, "in memory of" table, find hair style I like, figure out a way to spend time with out-of-town friends/family during the wedding weekend, where do we want go for honeymoon that is hurricane proof, am I going to love my dress after it is altered, etc.
  • my diet/health: I've kept the weight off that I lost in early 2010. I'm still eating too much meat and need to make more of an effort to eat less. I don't eat enough fruits or vegetables. I've been skipping breakfast again. I've really been enjoying yoga but haven't done the elliptical since I started going to classes at the end of January. I have weak arms and can't do a push-up properly; need to lift weights. I'm excited about the vita-mix that I bought and can't wait to start making smoothies and juices made straight from whole fruits and veggies. I am also excited to surprise Andy and show him all of the things we can make with our own whole foods instead of buying processes (fill in the blank.)
  • my sleep patterns: I'm stuck in a bad sleep pattern cycle. When it's time to go to bed my mind starts racing, I'm up late, and then I can't get up in the morning. Ideally I'd be getting up early enough to exercise in the morning at home before work. My plan is to start getting up 15 minutes earlier every day. I guess I will start the morning after my next good night's sleep.
  • work: Things are picking up. I am seeing results from the targeted prospecting I've been doing for the last six months. I truly believe our magazine can deliver what any advertiser needs if they are looking to reach our demographic, which makes it easy for me to talk to people about the magazine. I am excited about the progression of the intern program and marketing initiatives I am responsible for but sometimes find myself frustrated with all of the extra time I'm putting in for very little payoff.
  • my relationships: I've been struggling with this a lot lately. I was spoiled last year and even when I was at Comcast because I had a lot more time for friends and my family. I talk on the phone all day at work and the last thing I want to do at night is talk on the phone. The only quality time I have with Andy during the week are the few hours from when he gets home from work and bedtime. We usually don't finish dinner until about 8:00. I've been trying to fit in yoga and ideally would be doing it 3-4 times a week (they don't offer any early morning classes). Ignite meetings are only in the evenings and I don't get home until at least 8:30 when I attend. I beat myself up because I feel bad about not calling, emailing, visiting enough. I often feel like no matter what I do it's not enough. I'm lucky to have so many people in my life that I care about, but I'm spread thin. Not sure how to fix this. I wish there was a way for certain people to know how often I think about them.
So, how do we add hours to the day? I guess I really do need to start getting up earlier. Which means I need to go to bed earlier than 12:40am. I'll get there. I know I'm not the only person that feels this way. And we don't even have kids yet.




2 comments:

  1. True friends know you are there for them even when you are busy. Remember that and do not beat yourself up for not finding time to call / email people. Your true friends understand and when you DO have time to talk, you'll pick right back up where you left off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - try to find a mantra to repeat before going to bed to turn off your mind....it may sound silly but it works....concentrate only on your breath and say something in your mind over and over like "breathing in i am at peace...breathing out i am calm" - its a good way to try to turn off your mind but you have to keep practicing it :)

    ReplyDelete