Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 13


"Other victims of the egg industry are male chicks; because egg operations need many more hens than roosters, baby male chicks are routinely disposed of in one of two ways: Either they are thrown into dumpsters full of other baby chicks, left to suffocate, or they are put, live, through meat grinders to be fed to other livestock. Female chicks have their beaks ground off with a hot blade at 1 or 2 days old. God help us all." The Kind Diet
Ok, so this quote isn't exactly about meat. It's about eggs. It doesn't matter. This is one of the quotes that made me sick to my stomach, made me wince, made a tear fall down my cheek. I was screaming inside, "HOW CAN THIS BE HAPPENING???  NO ONE KNOWS THIS IS HAPPENING!!!"

I don't have much more to say about this. I am in utter disbelief that this is happening every day to millions of male baby chicks and most people don't have any knowledge of it. Can you believe they throw babies in a meat grinder alive??? I don't care if you're the ugliest rat running around in a sewer; no living animal deserves to experience something like that. (Well, maybe rapists and child molesters but that's a discussion for another day, trying to keep the depression levels to a minimum here.)

Fortunately for me, eggs are about .00000001% of my diet. I never eat eggs and hardly cook with them. I am learning about egg substitutes (like ground flax seeds) for baking. I won't be dying Easter eggs in my house. I am just one person, and I'm a person that buys eggs no more than one or two times per year. If you eat a lot of eggs I beg of you to think about this stuff; the only certifications that pertain to animal treatment are "Certified Humane Raised & Handled."
Yup, this picture makes me sick too. God Help Us All. What has this world come to?

I couldn't take it anymore, I caved and had a big, fat, juicy burger today.

April Fool's! Did I get ya?

My day started out with an April Fool's joke from Andy. He told me the DMB summer tour was cancelled because Dave has to have vocal chord surgery. I said "oh no, really?" I was bummed because we have some fun weekends planned this summer to see lots of friends and I've been really excited about it. Then he laughed and said "April Fool's". I always fall for April Fool's jokes.

I had an English Muffin for breakfast and then we went out for a walk around Avalon. It's always fun to walk around in the off-season to see all of the new houses and stores. There are a lot of people down this weekend, more than I would have ever expected. We picked up beach badges for this summer. Ahhhh, summer, it's almost here!

For lunch Andy was making chicken tacos. I had some of the mexican rice with grilled onions & peppers and fresh salsa on top. I have to admit Andy's tacos smelled awesome but the rice with veggies was enough for me.

It's funny, because the thought of actually chewing meat really grosses me out right now. I love the way a good steak or piece of grilled chicken smells but I can't imagine eating it. I'm not going to put additional pressure on myself right now, but I can definitely see this 28 day challenge lasting much longer.
We watched the Flyers game and then took a ride to Stone Harbor and walked around the shops. I ate the leftovers from last night's dinner so that was pretty easy.

I have a lot of traveling ahead of me over the next few weeks so that will be a new challenge; finding things I will enjoy in lots of various restaurants.




No comments:

Post a Comment