Monday, January 4, 2010

Aren't We All Trying to Eat Healthier?

Over the last couple of years I've fallen in love with cooking. I've learned how to make new dishes, use different spices, create my own recipes or change around some old standards. I read SELF magazine and cookbooks like "Flat Belly Diet" hoping I'll change how I eat. I am a lucky girl, I don't really gain weight. I fluctuate between 120-127 lbs and have for the last 7 or 8 years. I ate french fries everyday my freshman year of high school and was still 105 lbs. (Sorry Mom, I ate like crap in HS & college when you weren't around...and yeah, I know, those are the days when lots of girls can eat like that and still look like sticks.) The thing is, it's not always about weight. It's about how you feel physically, and how you feel about yourself when you look in the mirror. Your body mass changes when you're eating well and exercising even if you don't gain or lose weight (at least for me) and I want to get back to a place where I feel good about myself.

Well today I decided to really make a change---maybe it's the New Year thing, but there was no way I was changing my diet over New Year's weekend. So today it was and so far, so good. I'm about 8 hrs in.

I'm following the Flat Belly Diet four day jump start program. It's pretty simple, 4 meals a day, 400 calories each, make sure each meal includes a MUFA (aka: good fat.) Drink lots of water. My ultimate goal is to follow their meal plan 3-4 days/week. I've already accepted I am not willing to give up my favorite meals at my favorite restaurants, chicken parm, filet mignon, or mashed potatoes---I just won't do it. So why would I put a ridiculous expectation on myself? Instead I'm going to make an effort to eat more fruits and vegetables which I already love and smaller portions of red meat and poultry everyday.

You know what I found today? THIS IS A LOT OF WORK! I went to the store with my list of ingredients I needed for the next 4 days. Ginger root, sugar-free applesauce, mint leaves, lactose free skim milk are some examples of items on the list. First off, finding this stuff is like finding a needle in a haystack. Secondly, it's EXPENSIVE. I told myself to get over it, I'm worth it. I want to feel better about myself, and I already do. I spent close to an hour in the store and then another hour at home cutting and portioning chicken breasts and turkey cutlets. 3 oz each, and although they are quite small, when you eat a few cups of veges and a small roasted potato you find it's enough.

So, if any of you out there are trying to make a change maybe we can help each other. My next step is to start an exercise program. I wish, I really wish, I was one of those people that enjoy exercise. I do not. I enjoy a 5 mile walk in Valley Forge park when it's 70 degrees outside but I do not enjoy getting my ass on the elliptical and wishing away the minutes, and that's what I need to do. Or the many workouts On Demand, or use my weights, bands, exercise balls that sit in my basement. I have all of the equipment, now I just need to do it! I'm thinking as I change how I'm eating, I'll feel more motivated to exercise as well.

I may write to Food Network and beg them to find a chef that cooks according to a nutritionist, because watching these shows is the last thing anyone should be doing when trying to adjust the way they eat. Gotta go, Barefoot Contessa is on. :-) I'll just imagine what today's meal would taste like.

4 comments:

  1. Come try power yoga! Good luck with your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could go to the gym together... I've been burning it up. and I guess I'm lucky that I like it, however my eating habits could also use a revamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate and I used to follow a macrobiotic diet; we were successful for about 6 months before we fell back into old habits (it's hard to keep momentum!).

    Anyway, we're going to try to incorporate some of the macrobiotic cooking and eating techniques back into our diets in 2010, so we can totally be support for each other! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to eat more "clean" - less processed foods. I agree 100% with not giving up all the things you love...its all about moderation (although I need to definitely work on that!)Alcohol is a tough issue- another thing that's all about moderation I guess. Good luck - we can cheer each other on!

    ReplyDelete