Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 1

I've decided to use a quote from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone each day. Maybe you aren't aware of what's going on and want to learn just a little bit...maybe you'll want to learn even more and you'll read one of these books. Who knows?!? It's taken me years to take this step. The quotes I am using are the ones that hit me hard and made me decide to do this for real. I will briefly comment on the quote and then share about my day. I will also list at the end of my post what I ate that day and my weight.
"How could I spend so much energy saving one group of animals, then turn around and eat other ones? There was a fundamental hypocrisy in my thinking. Weren't they all living beings? Why did we buy some of them cute little doggy beds while slaughtering others? I had to ask myself- in all seriousness- why don't I just eat my dog?" The Kind Diet
Wow, when I read this I thought it made so much sense, it made me feel like a hypocrite too. I've always loved pigs and used to want one as a pet (I can't even get Andy to say yes to a cat so I'm pretty sure a pet pig isn't happening.) I love animals in general and have always felt "connected" to them. If I had to stare an animal in the face, or see babies being dragged away from their mothers before I ate them, I probably wouldn't be able to do it. We are so far removed from what our food is (cute little pigs, chicks, cows, etc.) and how they are treated (we'll get to that later) that it's pretty easy to eat meat and not feel too bad about it.
How freaking cute is this guy?
So, Day 1 was pretty easy. The reason, I felt horrible all day. Yesterday I had leftover roasted chicken, stuffing and mashed potatoes for lunch and pizza for dinner. I was already feeling crappy before I ate the pizza but ate it anyway. I was up almost all night with intense stomach pains (some of you know I've been getting them for years). They come and go randomly and feel like someone is stabbing the middle of my abdomen- not fun! I've seen gastro doctors and they say nothing is wrong. I know, I know, maybe I should get checked out again...but that's besides the point.
Today I basically ate nothing, had no appetite and was in immense pain. I visited my office in NJ and they had pizza brought in for lunch---I didn't have one bite. Now you know I wasn't feeling good! I know it will get harder to skip the meat as I start to feel better and my crazy appetite reappears, but right now I have no desire to eat any kind of meat. I took out a piece of chicken to grill for Andy tonight (we'll talk about how we can't try to force these changes on people some other time) and it grossed me out.

What I ate today:
1 cup of Cheerios
1 Pepsi (I was worried I didn't have enough sugar me since I didn't eat all day.)
My weight: 116




No comments:

Post a Comment