Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 10


"No meat is a truly low-fat food. Because saturated fat is marbled throughout the muscle, and the cholesterol is found in the cell membranes of the meat itself, trimming the excess fat off your steak doesn't do much good. Dr. William Castelli, director of the Framingham Heart Study, says a low-fat plant-based diet would lower an individual's risk of heart attack by 85%. You heard me. 85%." The Kind Diet
To everyone I love: Please read the above quote over and over until it sinks in. Maybe you're not willing to cut out meat completely (I don't know if I'm even quite there yet.) Do what you can to lower your risk of having a heart attack. I want you to live a long, healthy life. I want us to be on this Earth together for a long time. Please...use portion control, limit the amount of times a week/month/year you allow yourself to eat meat, become aware and conscious of your choices, educate yourself about food. If you think about what you are eating, you will start to make little changes in your habits because you want to. For my Oprah fans, "When you know better, you do better."

Be Kind to Your Heart!
Day 10, I made it into the double digits! I was like a little kid on Christmas morning all day today, I had ants in my pants, I couldn't focus on anything but the clock. Tonight was the Bruce show with Mom & Dad and some good, good friends in Philly. B-R-U-U-U-U-U-C-E!
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band 3/29/12
Stephen, Ben, Lou, Mom, Dad & Me :-)
I spent the day making calls and sending out emails for work, waiting patiently for the work day to end. I had leftover potato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. I might as well just throw two pieces of bread on the griddle with a little bit of butter and then dip it in ketchup because I could really care less about the cheese part of it all. (Yes, sometimes I eat like a 5 year old. Cheerios are still my favorite cereal!) I kind of like my grilled cheese with bacon but obviously skipped that part today.

I was bad and didn't make a green juice today. I can't promise it will be any better over the weekend since we'll be in Avalon and I'm not dragging my juicer down there. I am not there yet. I think it's safe to say I'll resume the green juice thing on Monday.

I've been wondering how I'd do with the no meat thing after a night of several beers; that's usually about the time I'm craving something greasy and bad. After the (awesome, incredible, I want to go again!) show, we headed out to a bar in the city for one last drink and some food. Steve sat down next to me and ordered a chicken parm sandwich---he is mean. He tried to tell me it wasn't good, but I know he was lying because he finished the whole thing.

Anyway, I survived. Now, I told you I'd be honest so I'll just admit I shared mozzarella sticks and onion rings with Ben. I consider it a victory that I didn't cave as I was surrounded by chicken parm and chicken fingers. After several beers it was hard to focus on all of the lovely quotes I've been sharing with you all. That chicken parm looked really good.

I am trying to be honest with myself because I love the way a lot of these foods taste. I love a lot of foods that are bad and gross for us to be eating. I wish I didn't. So I know it's going to be hard sometimes, because I'm going to want bad and gross for me foods. I'm trying to train myself to think about all of the things I'm learning; about what my body needs and how the animals are treated. So maybe one day, I won't even want them anymore. Right now, being aware of all this is key.

What I ate today:
1 cup cheerios
1 cup potato soup
1 grilled cheese (2 pieces of wheat bread, 1 piece of American cheese)
5 or 6 beers
2 mozzarella sticks
3-4 onion rings

I did not weight myself today



No comments:

Post a Comment