Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 11


"There are many things that are out of your control (your neighbor's bratty kid, rainstorms, skinny jeans and tube tops), yet you actually have a lot of power over your health, happiness and life---and it all starts with your mouth. What you put in it, and the words that come out of it, determine your destiny. Shitty nutrition and chemical crutches will wear you out. Stinkin' thinkin' and verbal self-abuse amputate your angel wings." Crazy, Sexy, Diet
Whoa, that's a lot to take in right there. There are few things we have complete control over in our lives and we should thank God one of them is what we feed our bodies. Yet many of us (myself included) feed ourselves crappy foods more often than we'd like to admit. We know a whole lot about what foods are good, bad and in the middle, but still find it so hard to make the right decisions. I struggle with that everyday, during every meal. I love the idea of feeding myself the foods that are best for me and cutting out all of the garbage, but it's never easy. I pray that one day it will be easy for me, that I won't even be attracted to the crappy foods. I hope I get there, slow and steady, because I can promise you I'm not on the fast track.

Our bodies get tired of working so hard when we feed them foods they don't want or need. Our minds get sick of us saying to ourselves we're not doing a good enough job. That's what I take from Kris's quote above. This 28 Day Challenge started out as a "don't eat meat for 4 weeks" thing, and it's turned into so much more. I'm learning about myself everyday; this journey has taken on a life of its own---one I did not plan for or expect. I find these quotes and really start to think about how they make me feel and what they say to me. Writing about it all makes me slow down and take it all in.

We all have the power over our health, happiness and life---but do we actually believe that to be true? I'm trying...
Determine your destiny
I took the train back to Conshohocken from the city this morning after crashing on Steve & Kate's couch after last night's incredible Bruce show. I grabbed a soft pretzel and Diet Snapple at the train station and called it breakfast.

I spent the the day working from home and then hit the road en route to Avalon. We'll just blame this on a late night pretending I'm still a party girl---I stopped at McDonald's and got a small fry (at least I got the small because I really wanted a medium) and a vanilla milkshake. Sometimes I feel like screaming at myself "You take one step forward, and then two steps back!" I have to say the fries tasted like heaven. I promised I'd be honest---moving right along.

Driving down Avalon Blvd. and over the bridge made me really excited for summer. Andy & I came down for the weekend to do some spring cleanings that have been scheduled since the early winter. We ordered a pizza from Via Mare and it was fantastic. I made a huge salad with lots of veggies to go with it. We had a nice relaxing night watching the NCAA tournament.

Happy Weekend everyone!
What I ate today:
1/2 soft pretzel
1/2 bottle Snapple
Small McDonald's fry
1 small vanilla milkshake
2 pieces pizza
Medium salad w/mixed greens, cucumber tomato, carrots, onion, pepper and croutons
1 Sprite

I didn't weigh myself today.


No comments:

Post a Comment