Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 12

"In these challenging times it's crucial to become 'Prevention Is Hot' cheerleaders. Set an example, teach your children, and lead the way to health, spiritual wealth, and happiness through personal action. Nobody knows your body like you do, and waiting around for someone else to fix your woes is playing a risky game of roulette." Crazy, Sexy, Diet
A few months ago I watched the documentary Food Matters. It was full of great information and was not at all "preachy." One thing that grabbed my attention was the discussion on prescription drugs and the idea that food can be medicine too. We all know there is a major problem in this country with the "fix it with a pill" theory. It seems like some doctors write a prescription faster than you can tell them your symptoms.

And preventative medicine? Yeah right. Try getting your insurance to cover anything preventative aside from a pap or a mammogram. Not happening. I've been asking for years why can't my insurance cover holistic doctors, acupuncture, massage and other preventative "medicines?" I am lucky enough to be healthy and I'm working hard to make sure I stay that way. I believe in Eastern medicine and instead of going on drugs for some of my issues I choose to go to acupuncture. I don't want to wait around until I'm diagnosed with cancer or whatever else to treat my body. I want to treat it now so I never have to hear those words I fear so much..."you have cancer."

I agree with Kris, it's up to us to take care of ourselves. And to try teaching the people we love to take care of themselves too. No one else is going to do it. Most of our society is so conditioned to eating the way we eat, treating illness with pills, and doing very little prevent some of the most preventable diseases. We treat the effects instead of the causes, let's change that.


Andy & I got up bright and early to scrub-a-dub-dub this morning. We had a bowl of cereal and off we went. After cleaning we came back to the house and had the leftover pizza for lunch. It was a nice, relaxing afternoon. I went to the library and checked out some new music and a couple of movies.

I made fresh bruschetta and toasted up some bread as an appetizer before dinner. There is nothing like fresh bruschetta, yum! I made angel hair pasta with sauteed broccoli, tomato in a white wine garlic sauce. In the old days I would have had grilled chicken on top of this dish, I missed it just a little bit.

This might be the most boring post I've ever written. I just don't have a whole lot to say. In the beginning I thought I'd be writing about how hard the no meat thing is, but it's really not. Yeah, I miss it sometimes. I love the flavor of grilled chicken in a lot of dishes I make, but you get over it. Every day I don't eat meat, I know I am not contributing to the cruelty of those animals I find so cute. I am not feeding my body gross hormones and antibiotics and Lord knows what else. I'm giving this little body of mine a chance to cleanse itself and a chance to tell me that it doesn't even really miss the meat. So yeah, the chicken parm sandwich a couple of nights ago was tempting and sometimes I miss the grilled chicken on my veggie pasta, but really, it's not that hard at all.

What I ate today:
1 cup Cheerios
2 pieces of pizza
1 Pepsi
bruschetta w/crostini
1 cup angel hair w/broccoli, tomato and garlic
1 medium salad
1 golden Oreo

No scales in Avalon!





















No comments:

Post a Comment