Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 3


"Meat contributes to cancer. Dioxin is the most toxic chemical known to science and is recognized as a human carcinogen. It is estimated that 93% of our exposure to dioxin comes from eating animal products." The Kind Diet


There are 3 things I am most petrified of happening to me---being raped, getting shot and being told I have cancer. When I watched the movie 50/50 I could almost feel what the main character was feeling when the doctor told him he had cancer. I'm scared to death of those words exiting a doctors mouth with me on the other side of his desk. If this a fear you share with me, watch Forks over Knives and take what you will away from it. If you dive deeper into the studies available about this topic (such as The China Study) you will be blown away. The foods we eat are feeding cancer! Isn't food supposed to be something we can't live without, not something that may shorten the number of years we live? I don't need to say much more, the quote above says it all. Cut down on the amount of animal products you consume and you'll cut down on the amount of ammunition you are feeding cancer cells that could already be living within you.


Imagine a world without cancer!
Today was interesting. I took a 7:30 train into Philly to attend a conference at the convention center. Since I've barely eaten anything over the last couple of days I was starving. I grabbed a bagel and iced tea at Dunkin Donuts. (I know, not the best choice but it was the most convenient and I figure I can afford the calories of a bagel after the last few days.) About four hours later I wasn't feeling well and got sick (sorry if that's TMI). I was thinking "What the heck is going on with me? I usually eat all day long, now it's like I'm allergic to food." A little while later I was feeling ok and tried some soup for lunch. I was fine after that, thank God.

For dinner last night we had pasta and sauce, salad and fresh bruschetta on Italian bread I cut up and baked in the oven with olive oil. I was pleased that Andy was ok with having pasta without sausage or meatballs like usual. Maybe this can be a meatless meal for both of us on a regular basis. I found by the time I ate my salad and bruschetta (which was awesome, by the way) I barely needed the pasta. I ended up only eating a 1/2 cup. (One thing I've learned about pasta, measure it! You need way less than you think, and if you don't measure it you'll often eat more.)

I thought I would need to write this blog so I could vent about how hard it is not eating meat. So far, so good. It hasn't been hard at all. When I think about missing chicken it's usually marsala, parm and piccata dishes that come to mind. One thing Alicia said in her book is you can still make those sauces and serve them without the meat (well not parm because she doesn't eat cheese.) Duh! So I think I'm going to try that with quinoa or rice and see how it goes. I'm usually more interested in the flavors from the sauces than I am from the chicken; the chicken has always been (whatever) sauce's vehicle to my mouth, haha. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes friends have recommended and developing a menu of meatless dishes that I've mastered.

What I ate today:
Everything bagel
16oz Lipton Iced Tea- Sweetened
Italian Wedding Soup (broth and carrots only)
1/2 cup pasta w/tomato sauce
Salad w/sunflower seeds
Bruschetta and a few small pieces of bread
Diet Coke (I know, BAD. I'm not buying at again after I finish my last 12 pack)

My weight:
115 lbs


No comments:

Post a Comment