Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 17



“While it is true that many people simply can't afford to pay more for food, either in money or time or both, many more of us can. After all, just in the last decade or two we've somehow found the time in the day to spend several hours on the internet and the money in the budget not only to pay for broadband service, but to cover a second phone bill and a new monthly bill for television, formerly free. For the majority of Americans, spending more for better food is less a matter of ability than priority." In Defense of Food
Do you want to start a great debate with me? Present the argument that eating healthy is too expensive. Now take inventory of what people spend their money on. Like Michael Pollan states above---people will spend the extra money for a data plan on their cell phone, a premium cable package, going out to eat and so on, but they balk at spending an extra couple dollars on healthier foods? I just don't get it.  
I believe change starts with educating people about food, healthy choices and they how can afford it. I think it's sad that parents consider a bucket of chicken and all the fixins' from KFC to be a "cheap" option. What do they cost, ten or twelve bucks? Give me $12 and I'll come up with several tasty, healthy meals.
If you take a look at poorer countries throughout the world, over time they've had less disease, cancer and obesity because they had to live off of rice, beans and vegetables versus the SAD (Standard American Diet) many of our poorer families live off of here. As these countries (China for example) became more industrialized, their people started eating more meat and fast food. Guess what? Their cancer and obesity rates have risen. One of my goals is to get involved with an organization that helps teach parents how to afford to feed their families with healthy foods while on a budget.
The real questions is what do you value? How are you willing to spend your money?

It's Good Friday, a "no meat" day. I have to admit I've never been strict about the whole "no meat on Friday's during Lent thing." My feelings about my religion and my connection (or lack thereof) to the church is for another post, another time. This year though, a little part of me felt good about not eating meat on Good Friday, and for the last few weeks.

It was nice to be home after several days of running around like crazy. I went to a great yoga class and then headed to King of Prussia. The CT Roth's are in town so we went to hang out for a bit. We ordered dinner from Bridgeport and Andy got their Brooklyn style tomato pie. It was excellent! I've had a lot of pizza lately, that's for sure. I brought a garden salad and had some of that as well.

We're looking forward to a fun weekend with our nieces and nephews! Happy Easter everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment