Saturday, March 8, 2014

I have gratitude today for...
* talking with Mom and Dad for a little bit this morning. 
* Jenn F. messaging me asking about trying to set up a fundraiser for our friend who was just diagnosed with cancer. She's reached out to a few people and asked me to help. It's like she read my mind. I feel like it's a blessing that I have the time right now to help out and will do whatever I can!
* meeting the lady at Target who was selling the FoodSaver. She was very friendly and the thing is practically brand new! I got it for $45 and that included two rolls of bags. Woohoo!
* stopping in a few places on our way to the Villanova game to look at furniture. Still haven't found what we're looking for in the foyer but maybe with each stop, we're one step closer?
* a beautiful day today- it was 50 degrees but it felt like summer!
* Villanova having a good game. It's the last one we'll go to unless we somehow end up going to a tournament game. 
* finishing up leftovers for dinner. We were starving when we got home from the game and it was nice having food made already. 
* going to TCBY after dinner, and then renting a movie. I've wanted TCBY since my birthday and finally broke down. It might be dangerous having it so close to our house!
* watching The Butler. I could write a whole post about this movie. It was so powerful, it made my heart hurt, and the ending made me cry. When I watch movies about the Civil Rights Movement era, I always feel the same way. I can not, for the life of me, imagine doing what white people in the south, did to black people. I always wonder if I lived in the South at that time what I would have thought. Would i have had the courage to speak out against these awful acts of hatred? I like to think I would have. Going even deeper, when it comes to things like that, are we a product of our environment? If those same people lived in other parts of the country would they have thought/acted that way? The scene that hit me the hardest was the diner scene. I remembered right away seeing something about that incident at the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. I think there was some black and white footage of the news coverage or something, and I remember being appalled by it. This movie is a movie everyone should see. It shows us how far we've come, but also that we have a long ways to go. Things aren't perfect now, not anywhere close, but can at least I can't fathom the things that happened then happening now. I loved how they brought the movie up to 2008 when President Obama won. I know, since I am white, that I will never understand what it felt like to be black and see our nation's first black president elected. Furthermore, it must have been like a dream come true for those who lived through the bigotry and racism during that time. It was something I'm sure they thought would never happen. Uh, I could go on and on, but the point is this movie was spectacular, everyone should see it, and it should have been nominated for an Oscar!

No comments:

Post a Comment