Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Celebrate Life!

I received the sad news last night that one of my elementry school principals passed away at the young age of 59 from lung cancer. I often think I'm still too young to have known so many people that have lost their lives, many of them younger than 60, and several of them younger than 30. It's easy to feel really down about this kind of news, especially when you begin to think "what if that was my family, or my mom/dad/sibling?." Sometimes it's hard not to think like that, even when you are more focused on the friends and family suffering the loss than you are on your own feelings.
I was just thinking I should write tonight because I had a really good day and it seems we don't write about our good days often enough. I spent the entire day with my mom at her office scanning all of my middle school and high school photos. We had a nice lunch and enjoyed our time together. I went from her office to an old friend's house--I haven't seen her in a long time and we've had a bumpy road in our friendship over the last 6-9 months (we've been friends for almost about 20 years so that's not really too bad when you put it in perspective.) Anyway, she is pregnant and is so excited. It made me so happy to see her, especially knowing she's dreamed of the day she'd become a mom for so long. We spent some quality time together catching up and I feel really good about our friendship moving forward. Afterwards my mom and I went to visit another old friend who just had her first baby (a boy!) last weekend. He was so little and sweet and reminded me of why it's important for us to celebrate each and every day. My friend didn't stop smiling the entire time, I've never seen her look so happy.
I will try to remind myself, and I'm reminding all of you to celebrate LIFE everyday! We don't know what tomorrow will bring but we have the ability to make sure we find something great in every day. Today I am simply grateful for all of the people that make my life so wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. now i'm crying... i didn't know you had such an eventful visit home. that makes me so happy! i can't wait to meet the little guy and do we know his name yet?!?!? haha.

    ReplyDelete