Friday, February 5, 2010

10/4/96: Dave Matthews Band

Madison Square Garden: New York, NY
I am 15 years old, I am going to New York City with a group of friends to see the Dave Matthews Band. I've never been to a real concert before, I am so excited. My dad is excited too because he introduced me to the band and now they are one of my favorites. He walks into my room that morning and tells me the concert is "his treat", he then hands me money for the ticket and train fare.
I've never been to MSG before and I am relieved it's connected to Penn Station, no chances of us getting lost. We have our tickets out and find our seats, right behind Carter's drums! It's amazing! We can see everything on the stage, we're only about 20 rows back and find a way for our group to sit (stand) together. I watch the time clock near Carter's drum set as the band plays song after song, hear True Reflections for the first time (that I can remember) and John Popper comes out for the encore!
We catch the train back to Princeton Junction, I am in awe of live music---especially this band. It's Naoma's 15th birthday and we sing to her on the train at midnight.
I had no idea that night, what role this band would play in my life. I had no idea their music would get me through some really hard times throughout my teens. I had no idea that I would visit some of the most amazing places in the U.S. because I was going to their shows all over the country. And I certainly had no idea I would meet some of the most amazing friends and the love of my life, all because I fell in love with DMB.
Thanks Dad, for bringing home Under the Table and Dreaming. I'll never forget you playing "What Would You Say" and "Ants Marching." This guy was singing about monkeys on strings and ants---you loved them, and soon enough I did too!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I didnt know your dad introduced you - how special! What a great first show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! you better have sent it to dad! he is pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome!! I still love DMB - they've got The Gift. Don't forget the shows we saw together- Awesome. Thanks for reminding me of the great times we've had. You're the best... LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete