Thursday, August 19, 2010

I remember like it was yesterday...

the day LeRoi passed away. I was thankful I was in attendance at his last show with the band at Nissan Pavillion in June 2008. I was tearful the first time I saw DMB after his passing (my 100th show) when they opened with bartender. I am happy for all of the things (and people) this band and their music have brought to my life.

These were my thoughts they day after his passing. I still feel the same way today:
Yesterday afternoon I lost a friend, along with all of the Dave Matthews Band fans out there. He didn't know me personally, nor did I know him personally---but I still feel a loss greater than what I normally feel when a "celebrity" passes away. I guess that's because LeRoi wasn't a celebrity to me, he was a fantastic musician with a big heart and one of the founders of a band that has been such a huge part of my life.


I can't imagine how hard it was for the remaining band members to take the stage last night, they truly did lose a brother. The Dave Matthews Band has been together for almost two decades and have spent more time together than apart. And the family that the DMB community is and has been for so long is what is so incredible to me---the band needed the fans last night to help them with their grief. I know some of you out there don't understand how us crazy DMB fans have gone to 70,80,90 (I've been to 98 and have a few friends that have been to over 200) shows, but it's like visiting old friends when you see those guys up on that stage, while getting to hear some of the best music ever written at the same time. I can't believe I have to say "I was at LeRoi's last show with the band" because none of us thought the ATV accident was going to end up like this.

If it weren't for Roi taking Dave's demo tape seriously and recruiting Carter to play with them who knows if the band would have ever formed? This band and their music have helped me through some of the hardest times in my life, years ago their concerts were the only things I looked forward to. As I grew out of that depressed stage after high school I continued to fall in love with their music, their attitudes on life and made amazing friends that are all somehow connected to DMB. I've visited some of the most beautiful places in this country with some of the most beautiful people I know all because of this band. And somehow I managed to meet the love of my life because I desperately needed to find tickets (the night before) to a show in Pittsburgh and bought them from him. I can't even imagine how different my life would be without the Dave Matthews Band.

May LeRoi rest in peace, he will be greatly missed both on the stage and off. I hope he forms another band up there in heaven with all of the other great musicians we've lost too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment