Monday, February 3, 2014

I have gratitude today for...
* Steve saying I could work from home. This winter has been crazy! It has snowed almost every weeks since Thanksgiving! I was thankful I didn't have to drive in the mess only to have to drive home in it several hours later. 
* spending some time on my blog this morning since I was up early enough that my work day hadn't started yet. I worked some more on the layout and read about a few more things I can do. 
* talking with Cat today. She had called a few times and I was unable to take her calls each time. It was great catching up and filling her in on what's been going on. She had lots of encouraging words for me. 
* having a beautiful view of the snow falling from my desk in the office. 
Loved watching the snow fall while I did my work today.
* finally ordering Jeffrey's birthday present from Amazon. I got him the game TROUBLE (one of my favorites as a kid) and a skateboarding "learn to read" book. 
* the letter Seane Corne shared written by a friend of hers who knew Phillip Seymour Hoffman. His death is so sad and such a wake up call to everyone about how destructive addiction can be. He was sober for over 20 years before falling apart about 2 years ago---such a heartbreaking story. I've shared it below...
It was 1992 and I was back in NY for Christmas to be with family and friends after recently moving to LA. Looking to maintain some level of sanity while hanging on to this relatively new thing called "sobriety," I had gotten my butt to an AA meeting in the village. It was nice to be home. NYC, but also NY's rooms of NA and AA. They had become a kind of "home" for me I had never really experienced before. Already 6 years clean and sober, every Holiday season still smacked me in the head like a 2 by 4. They kinda still do. 

Meetings let me know I wasn’t alone, and that I could help others to not feel alone. This teddy bear of guy with golden reddish blond hair and a slovenly Buddha belly shared he was moving to LA and a tad nervous about the whole thing. We spoke at the break. I told him I lived there and we swapped numbers. 

We had dinner that night with a bunch of other sober folks and for 22 years remained friends. I'd give anything right now to have another 22 with him, but last night he died of our disease.

Phil knew all my shit, and I knew his. The last 2 years he shared less and hid more, the way we can at times. I know that kind of shame all too well. It’s one fucking hard rock to get out from under. The thought of him leaving us that way brings it all back. 

Today I told my kids a little more about addiction and a little more of where I’ve come from. I told them I love them and they don’t need to worry. I’m their father first and their friend second. That I’m 28 years clean and sober and in a new place. I held them and they held me. It rips me to pieces that Phil won’t be able to do this with his. 

Yes, his creative genius was an inspiration to us all. But his struggle to be fiercely truthful in matters of the heart was what pulled me to him and still does. I guess they go hand in hand.

I love you brother… you’ll be missed by so many.
* sending Dad a message with links to some great articles I read today. I thanked him for having the strength to tackle each day and for keeping his sobriety his #1 priority. We wouldn't have the relationship we have today if he didn't. You can find those articles here and here.
* being able to get a refund for my ID Life membership. It may be a good opportunity but I just can't focus on it right now. 
* continuing to talk to people in my network who might be able to make connections for me. 
* hearing back from Robin M. She gave me lots of great info and I'm excited to see what happens. 
* chatting with Ed F. a little bit today on Facebook. We're going to get together sometime this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment