Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reading Room

I love books! I love how you can get lost in a story, even feel like you are a part of the action. I love how books make you think about things in a new way---they bring things to light. I love the way they look on bookshelves!

I thought it would be fun to give you all a comprehensive list of books I've read over the years. I'm sure some are missing because I only started recording the books I've read a few years ago. I've tried to update the list as I recall books I've read. I will try to give a quick review of the books that had the largest impact on me. Most of the books listed are links so you can check out a synopsis on Google Books if you'd like. My favorites are listed in bold. So many of them are great, but I made those that I'd read again (if I didn't have a thing against reading the same book twice) bold.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of books I want to read...it became overwhelming. There was over 1,000 books listed. How does a person read that much in a lifetime? One of my 2014 goals is to read one book every couple months. We'll see how it goes!


"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."  -Dr. Suess, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!" 
I am currently reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Books I've Read:



The Language of Flowers                                                            Vanessa Diffenbaugh
A Million Little Pieces‎James Frey
America, You Sexy Bitch: A Love Letter to Freedom‎Meghan McCain, Michael Ian Black
At First Sight‎Nicholas Sparks
Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic‎Jenny McCarthy
Black like me‎John Howard Griffin
Burnt Toast: And Other Philosophies of Life‎Teri Hatcher
Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Testimonies from Our Imprisoned Sisters‎Wally Lamb
Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl: A Nancy Chan Novel‎Tracy Quan
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: A Novel‎Rebecca Wells
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and ...‎Elizabeth Gilbert
Finders Keepers: The Story of a Man Who Found $1 Million‎Mark Bowden
Firefly Lane‎Kristin Hannah
From Here to Maternity: A Novel of Total Exhaustion‎Kris Webb, Kathy Wilson
Girls' Night In‎Lauren Henderson
Good in Bed‎Jennifer Weiner
Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir‎Franz Wisner
I Know This Much Is True‎Wally Lamb
In Her Shoes: A Novel‎Jennifer Weiner
Into the Wild‎Jon Krakauer
It's not about the bike: my journey back to life‎Lance Armstrong
Leadership‎Rudolph W. Giuliani
Little Earthquakes: A Novel‎Jennifer Weiner
Magical Thinking: True Stories‎Augusten Burroughs
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog‎John Grogan
Message in a bottle‎Nicholas Sparks
Next: The Future Just Happened‎Michael Lewis
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America‎Barbara Ehrenreich
PS, I Love You‎Cecelia Ahern
Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott‎Darrell Scott
She's come undone‎Wally Lamb
Skinny Bitch: A No-nonsense, Tough-love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to ...‎Rory Freedman, Kim Barnouin
Skipping Christmas‎John Grisham
Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood‎Koren Zailckas
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel‎Lisa See
sTORI Telling‎Tori Spelling
Stories from a Teacher‎J. Flores
Summer Sisters‎Judy Blume
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas‎James Patterson
Ten Things I Wish I'd Known - Before I Went Out Into the Real World‎Maria Shriver
The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game‎Michael M. Lewis
The Bridges of Madison County‎Robert James Waller
The Five People You Meet in Heaven‎Mitch Albom
The Help‎Kathryn Stockett
The Hour I First Believed‎Wally Lamb
The innocent man: murder and injustice in a small town‎John Grisham
The Kind DietAlicia Silverstone
The Kite Runner‎Khaled Hosseini
The Memory Keeper's Daughter‎Kim Edwards
The Middle Place‎Kelly Corrigan
The Nanny Diaries: A Novel‎Emma Mclaughlin, Nicola Kraus
The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives‎Cheryl Jarvis
The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals‎Michael Pollan
The Pilot's Wife: A Novel‎Anita Shreve
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference‎Malcolm Gladwell
The Wonder Spot‎Melissa Bank
The Year She Fell‎Alicia Rasley
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson‎Mitch Albom
Water for Elephants: A Novel‎Sara Gruen
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail‎Cheryl Strayed
Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand
The Fault in Our Stars- John Green
The Giver- Lois Lowry
Sycamore Row- John Grisham
The Nazi Officer's Wife- Edith H. Beer
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- Rebecca Skloot
Defending Jacob- William Landay
Life As I Blow It- Sarah Colonna
Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
Outliers- Malcolm Gladwell
The Associate- John Grisham
Medium Raw- Anthony Bourdain
The Book Thief- Markus Zusak
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim- Dave Sedaris
Orphan Train
Yes, Please!
The Glass Castle
In Order To Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom
10% Happier                                                                       Dan Harris
Hillbilly Elegy                                                                     J.D. Vance

                                                                                                                     



3 comments:

  1. So glad to see The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb on your list. It is on my top ten favorites of all time. If you liked it I am listing some others that you might enjoy.
    One True Thing by Anna Quindlin
    Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
    I can't wait to check out some of your favorites that I have not read
    Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon- I think I fixed it. I needed to have my ReadingRoom posts feeding into the page at the top instead of having 2 separate posts. See, your comment is still here. :-)
      THIFB is probably in my Top 5, I think it's his best work!

      Delete
  2. One of my goals for this year is a book every couple months also! I've started using my account on the Amazon Kindle store (even though I don't have the actual Kindle hardward--I use the iPad mini) to build my reading "wish list". It works well as long as you have internet and the Kindle store isn't going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete